How to reduce your risk of a heart attack and improve your chance at life.
Just think you’ve worked hard, raised your family, had a great career and now you are ready to reap the rewards. A heart attack was never a part of this picture but chances are it will be if you don’t take care of your self.
There is a common misconception that heart disease is a male thing. Nothing could be further from the truth. As time has progressed and both men and women inhabit all of the good and bad things about a modern lifestyle the statistics for women have been rising.
One of the biggest reasons for premature death in women who have a heart attack is the failure to recognise two things:
- That a woman is at risk of heart disease and heart attack, and
- A woman’s symptoms are not necessarily the same as a man's
The familiar movie clip of a man with central crushing chest pain like a weight on the chest and going down both arms is an image many of us grew up with. As a woman your symptoms are more likely to be less well defined.
- Over 33% of women will not experience chest pain. They are more likely to have pain or dullness or an ache in their neck, jaw, back and arms. Some women may only have an ache in their hand or fingers.
- You could just get breathless and notice some palpitations, that is feeling your heart beat become irregular or faster than usual.
- Severe Indigestion, nausea and vomiting.
- Extreme fatigue which is unrelieved by rest
- Dizziness, sweating, a feeling of panic and sometimes just a feeling that something bad is about to happen.
- Amazingly 71% of women report flu like symptoms 2-4 weeks prior to the diagnosis of a heart attack.
- Smoking, both active and passive, that is being exposed to someone else’s cigarette smoke.
- High Blood Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- Being Overweight
- Being Physically Inactive
- Depression, social isolation and lack of quality support
These are all things you can do something about, or can help another woman do something about.
You might be interested in these as well......